Monday, January 2, 2012

Light Bulbs

Did you know that a compact fluorescent light bulb (those funny looking swirly-shaped bulbs) produces the same amount of visible light as a standard incandescent light bulb, but uses typically 1/5 less power and lasts 6 to 10 times longer. That's pretty impressive! Here's an example: an 18 watt compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL) will produce the same amount of visible light as a standard 75 watt incandescent light bulb, but is only using 18 watts of electricity. A U.S. article stated "A household that invested $90 in changing 30 fixtures to CFLs would save $440 to $1,500 over the five-year life of the bulbs, depending on your cost of electricity. Look at your utility bill and imagine a 12% discount to estimate the savings." I have already changed almost every single bulb in my house. They take a little getting used to, because it's a different kind of light. Also, they aren't at their full brightness when you first turn them on. They get brighter after they've been on a few minutes and warmed up. By changing my light bulbs, sealing my windows, and using the heat from my dryer and the sunshine through my windows, I can already see a difference in my electric bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment